Episode 007 July 2014
We interview sound designer Mark Mangini about his career, including his early work on Raiders of the Lost Ark, and chat with film/TV editor Brian Newell about Dragonslayer, and the invention of Go-Motion.
This is continuing coverage of Cinefex 6 — see episode 006 for even more Raiders and Dragonslayer goodness!
[Originally known as episode 006B.]
About The Optical
Host Mark Boszko takes you on a journey back through the annals of Cinefex magazine, talking about the movies and topics they covered 30+ years ago. We talk to people involved in the films, people who make movies, and people who love movies, and have a fun time doing it.
Special thanks to Cinefex for access to these out-of-print back issues.
Even though these are out of print, you can now download and read along with Issue 6 — and every other back issue of Cinefex — in the Cinefex iPad App. Download the free iPad app now!
- Cinefex number 6 — October 1981, available in the Cinefex iPad app
- Revisiting Cinefex (6): Early CGI, Dragonslayer and Raiders by Graham Edwards
- Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures on Blu-ray
- The Complete Making of Indiana Jones: The Definitive Story Behind All Four Films by J.W. Rinzler and Laurent Bouzereau
- Dragonslayer (1981)
- Sound Design
- Walter Murch and his sound design expertise were discussed in detail in The Optical, Episode 003
- Mark Mangini's music
- Hanna Barbara - The New Fred & Barney Show (1979)
- Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)
- V'Ger musical effect — Blaster Beam demonstration
- Replacing English with Vulcan Speech in Star Trek: The Motion Picture
- Gremlins (1984)
- Jack the Giant Slayer (2013)
- The Fifth Element (1997)
- Silent Films --- Mangini's open letter to a reviewer who neglected the role of sound in the CGI-heavy sequences in Godzilla.
- Ben Burtt
- Richard L. Anderson
- Stephen Hunter Flick
- Frank Welker
- The Wilhelm Scream
- The Spiderwick Chronicles (2008)
- Kafka (1991)
- Steven Soderbergh talking about re-working Kafka --- about halfway though the interview. Sounds like there will be a disc released after he's done tinkering with it.
- Stigmata (1999)
- Warrior (2011)
- Space Jam (1996)
- Looney Tunes: Back in Action (2003)
- Treg Brown
- Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)
- War of the Worlds (1953)
- Forbidden Planet (1956)
- Jane Got a Gun coming in 2015
- Black Mass coming in 2015
- Dolby Atmos
- Mark Mangini's Blog
- LA Sound Group Presents Mark Mangini --- group chat
Dragonslayer and Go-Motion
- Go-Motion on Wikipedia
- Peter MacNicol
- Revenge of the Jedi teaser trailer
- The Vermithrax Pejorative Story: Behind the Scenes at the Making of Dragonslayer
- Dragonslayer Full-size Head Restoration
- The Rhamphorhynchus pterosaur that the design of the Vermithrax Pejorative was based upon.
- We talked about the tauntaun stop-motion animation in The Optical, Episode 002
- G is for Greenscreen on the Cinefex blog contains a couple of great example images of ILM's backlit bluescreen --- one with _Ghostbuster’s_ Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man in front of it, and the other with Jabba's skiff from _Return of the Jedi._
- Inverse square law for light
- Tremors (1990)
- We covered Ray Harryhausen's stop-motion techniques and armatures in The Optical, Episode 005
- Overcranking film
- You'll believe a man can fly. --- Superman (1978) tagline
- Dragonslayer Behind-the-Scenes Pictures
- Original Go-Motion tests for Jurassic Park created before the decision was made to make the dinosaurs digitally.