Episode 023 January 2016
In a special edition of the podcast, remastered audio of our 2014 interview with Howie Weed, long time artist at ILM, who tells us about blowing up the Enterprise, a recipe for fake blood, mass producing Gremlins, an alligator, alien probes, and his turn as the Special Edition Wampa in the Special Edition of Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back.
About The Optical
Host Mark Boszko takes you on a journey back through the annals of Cinefex magazine, talking about the movies and topics they covered 30+ years ago. We talk to people involved in the films, people who make movies, and people who love movies, and have a fun time doing it.
Special thanks to Cinefex for access to these out-of-print back issues.
Even though these are out of print, you can now download and read along with Issue 3 — and every other back issue of Cinefex — in the Cinefex iPad App. Download the free iPad app now!
Model maker, creature creator, digital artist, long-time ILM-er, and the guy inside the Wampa suit in The Empire Strikes Back: Special Edition.
- Cinefex number 2 — August 1980
- Cinefex number 3 — December 1980 — article “Tauntauns, Walkers and Probots” by Paul Mandell
- Revisiting Cinefex (2): Empire, Greg Jein and Star Trek by Graham Edwards
- Revisiting Cinefex (3): Empire, Walter Murch and Phase IV by Graham Edwards
- The Making of The Empire Strikes Back (Enhanced Edition) by J.W. Rinzler
- Gremlins (1984)
- Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (1984)
- Romancing the Stone (1984)
- Fire in the Sky (1993)
- Dick Smith's Do It Yourself Monster Make-Up by Dick Smith, introduction by Rick Baker
- Stage Makeup: Fifth Edition (1975) by Richard Corson
- Wampa clip from Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back — Special Edition