Episode 018 April 2015
We chat with animator and VFX artist Robert Swarthe about his work on Close Encounters of the Third Kind — both the original and Special Edition, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, and more!
About The Optical
Host Mark Boszko takes you on a journey back through the annals of Cinefex magazine, talking about the movies and topics they covered 30+ years ago. We talk to people involved in the films, people who make movies, and people who love movies, and have a fun time doing it.
Special thanks to Cinefex for access to these out-of-print back issues.
Even though these are out of print, you can now download and read along with Issue 11 — and every other back issue of Cinefex — in the Cinefex iPad App. Download the free iPad app now!
Academy Award-nominated animator and VFX artist.
- Nominated in 1976 for Best Short Film, Animated for Kick Me
- Nominated in 1980 for Best Visual Effects for Star Trek: The Motion Picture
- Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
- Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)
- Cinefex number 11
- Revisiting Cinefex (11): ET and Robert Swarthe by Graham Edwards