Episode 006 June 2014
We chat with Cinefex writer Joe Fordham and film/TV editor Brian Newell about Raiders of the Lost Ark, and interview mechanical effects and pyro legend Thaine Morris about his career and his work on Raiders and Dragonslayer. We also chat with Jamie Benning about his creation of the Filmumentaries behind-the-scenes documentary format.
[Originally known as Episode 006A.]
About The Optical
Host Mark Boszko takes you on a journey back through the annals of Cinefex magazine, talking about the movies and topics they covered 30+ years ago. We talk to people involved in the films, people who make movies, and people who love movies, and have a fun time doing it.
Special thanks to Cinefex for access to these out-of-print back issues.
Even though these are out of print, you can now download and read along with Issue 6 — and every other back issue of Cinefex — in the Cinefex iPad App. Download the free iPad app now!
Proprietor of the Roger George Rentals special effects supply, special effects legend and pyrotechnician.
- Cinefex number 6 — October 1981, available in the Cinefex iPad app
- Revisiting Cinefex (6): Early CGI, Dragonslayer and Raiders by Graham Edwards
- Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures on Blu-ray
- The Complete Making of Indiana Jones: The Definitive Story Behind All Four Films by J.W. Rinzler and Laurent Bouzereau
- Dragonslayer (1981)
- Filmumentaries by Jamie Benning, specifically Raiding the Lost Ark
- Follow along with our List on Letterboxd, featuring films we’ve covered, and upcoming films to watch.
- Raiders Story Conference Transcript (1978) — a PDF of the three-day story conference between Spielberg, Lucas and Lawrence Kasdan, that kicked off the writing of the script.